About CityDance DREAM
CityDance DREAM seeks to level the playing field for students living in high-poverty DC neighborhoods by providing access to the highest-quality dance training; supports and services to ensure achievement in school; and the resources needed for successful transitions to adulthood. These goals are achieved through the DREAM Center for Dance, providing a comprehensive tuition-free dance program integrated with wrap-around academic, college readiness, and family services for grades 3-12; and DREAM Connections, providing free after-school dance classes and in-school performances at eleven DC public and charter schools for grades 3-5.
“I have personally witnessed the impact CityDance DREAM has on young people’s lives," Muriel Bowser Mayor, District of Columbia.
CityDance DREAM's mission is to use dance as a pathway for youth living in high-poverty DC neighborhoods to discover their potential and pursue their dreams.
- CityDance DREAM was launched in 2005 as a 10-week after school program for 15 students at Ward 8’s Green Elementary School (now Turner).
- By 2010, DREAM had expanded to eight schools, offering a 32-week comprehensive creative youth development curriculum.
- A 2012 formal program evaluation and strategic planning initiative resulted in a long-term organizational commitment and five-year plan to significantly deepen the impact of the program.
- In 2015, DREAM received The National Arts and Humanities Youth Program Award from the President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, the Nation’s highest honor for after-school arts and humanities programs.
- In 2015, DREAM became the first licensee of California-based The Wooden Floor (TWF), one of the foremost creative youth development nonprofits in the country, to adopt and adapt its proven model for using dance to improve education and life outcomes for youth from low-income communities.
- DREAM is now a 10-year (grades 3-12), year-round program providing a comprehensive tuition-free dance program with integrated wrap-around services and free after-school dance classes and in-school performances at DC public and charter schools.
Master Class with Sisley Loubet
DREAM Center for Dance
CityDance DREAM welcomes Sisley Loubet (currently on tour with Janelle Monae) to DC! Join us for a fun and dynamic master class at the DREAM Center for Dance from 7-8:30pm.