Founded in 1996, CityDance’s mission is to advance the appreciation for and participation in contemporary dance through performance and education. CityDance is comprised of the following programs.
Studio Education, under the direction of Lorraine Spiegler, providing dance training at multiple sites around the DC metropolitan area:
- Center at Strathmore (North Bethesda, MD), a Dance School and Conservatory committed to training young dancers for professional careers;
- Center at DC Dance Collective (Washington, DC), specializing in early childhood dance education, this site is also host to CityDance’s Sri Lankan dance program and adult Zumba classes;
- CityDance at Madeira (McLean, VA), directing the dance program at this private high-school.
CityDance Community Programs, led by Kelli Quinn, is a youth development and arts education program providing free performances, after-school programs, in-school arts learning and summer camps to underserved neighborhoods.
CityDance Professional Artist Series consists of the following programs:
- Resident Artist Program, which provides talented local professional dancers and choreographers with the opportunity to create and perform original works in CityDance’s Studio Theater.
- Guest Artist Program, which brings world-class professional dancers from outside the region to CityDance’s studios and area performance venues.
CityDance Studio Theater at Strathmore, producing and presenting professional dance performances and providing a performance home for CityDance Conservatory & School students.